All library cards are FREE.
To be eligible to receive a library card, you must belong to one of the following groups:
- Be a resident of one of the 4 communities that support the library: Bushkill Township, Lower Nazareth Township, Nazareth Borough, or Upper Nazareth Township. Please bring proof of your residency (mail, license, etc.) when coming to the library to apply for a card.
- Be a member of another Pennsylvania library, holding a valid library card with the "Access PA" sticker on it. This sticker makes you eligible to receive an outside borrower's card from our library. Please bring your home library membership card when coming to the library to apply for a card.
Residents of Stockertown, Tatamy, and Plainfield townships are not eligible for Nazareth Library cards because those townships do not contribute to the library's funding. If you are a resident of one of these townships, you may purchase a library card from one of the following libraries, to be used only at the library issuing the card:
- Bangor Public Library
- Easton Area Public Library (cards may be purchased and used at any of the 3 Easton Area Public Library branches).
To find out what library provides you with services, check out the Where is my Library? page.
WE DO NOT SELL LIBRARY CARDS!!
Why we don't sell non resident cards:
- The residents of our service area enjoy library service because their government leaders believe libraries are an essential government service. These local municipalities support the library as part of responsive and responsible government.
- Libraries are assigned by the state to District Library Centers. District Library Centers have nothing to do with School Districts.
- Our Library is assigned to the Bethlehem Library District. Tatamy, Stockertown and Plainfield townships are not part of this Library's service area. Tatamy and Stockertown are assigned by the state to the Easton Area Library District Center and any discussion on funding library service must first be with the Easton Area Library District.
- Any municipality wishing to provide library services to their residents by supporting our Library would have to agree to contribute using our current formula and the per capita amount requested of our current funding municipalities. (See: Funding) The Library receives no funding from the Nazareth Area School District. The Library receives no funding from the Bethlehem Library District. The Library receives no funding from Northampton County. The Easton Area Library and Bangor Library sell cards to non-residents. Therefore residents of Tatamy and Stockertown who are willing to purchase a card do have library service.
- Residents of Tatamy Stockertown have the strongest influence in persuading their local government officials that providing library service is a priority for their community.